Saturday 27 May 2017

The Pharaoh's Cat - Maria Luisa Lang

25651660


Synopsis:

The Pharaoh’s Cat, a tragicomic fantasy narrated in the present tense by the cat himself, tells of a free-spirited, wise-cracking stray in ancient Egypt who suddenly acquires human powers and immediately captivates the young Pharaoh, making him laugh for the first time since his parents’ death.

The cat becomes the Pharaoh’s constant companion and, at the royal palace and on a tour of Egypt, participates in the festivities, developing an insatiable appetite for good food, wine, and gossip. Gradually, he renews the Pharaoh’s ability to enjoy life and inspires him to become a stronger leader. The bond of selfless love they share will change Egypt’s destiny.

The cat has a good friend in the High Priest of the god Amun-Ra and seeks his help in solving the mystery of his human powers and the supernatural manifestations that plague him. He has a mortal enemy in the Vizier—the second most powerful man in Egypt--who hates him for his close relationship with the Pharaoh. The Vizier’s persecution of the cat ultimately results in his fleeing with the High Priest to present-day New York City, where they find an ally in an Egyptologist’s daughter.


Review:

First of all I want to thank Maria for providing me a copy of The Pharaoh's Cat in return for a honest review, I hope you enjoy.

The Pharaoh's Cat is such a lovely read, you can pretty much get through it in a day or 2 if you have some time to kill. I didn't really know what to expect from such a book with all the aspects of it combining bits of several genres but it was such a great read that I'm pretty attached to now. Its not simply a story about a cat, it is so much more, of love and friendship the repercussions of actions and most noticeably Egyptian history I suppose and even more messages about how actions can effect lives. These lessons and messages are not plainly put to you, they are so delicately woven into the storyline that is sweet and spans thousands of years.

The story told from the perspective of the cat, The Pharaoh’s Cat is made up of amusing moments. In both ancient Egypt and modern day New York, we get to play audience as the mystery surrounding the walking talking cat is unrolled and solved. Throughout, we encounter several interesting characters and watch as many wonderful and uplifting scenes unfold. It really does pull you in and I found myself simply unable or unwilling to put the book down for hours on end.

With the characters and the scenes I completely fell in love, to keep the story short some scenes that I wished had been plumped out more were short but still very adorable and vibrant. I got attached to everyone and thing, it was just too hard not to. Characters shown on the negative side had my bad emotions whilst every other character shown on the positive side got all of my great emotions and when plot twists came I'm sure both loads of emotions clashed and fought with each other for a long time. Although short and simple The Pharaoh's Cat made me laugh, cry, curse and simply just forget the real world for a while. I love the information about Egypt and how well it all fitted into the story.

Once finishing the story I moved right onto the second book and simply fell further in love. Short, sweet and simple this book gets a 5/5 from me. Even though some people saw parts as negatives which bumped down their ratings I simply just loved this book to much to not give it a 5/5. if you need a short book to fill in a hole, something to laugh at and love definitely check out this book and I hope it has the same effect on you as it did me.

No comments:

Post a Comment