Thursday 3 December 2015

An Interview With Peter Monn.


Today I interview a contributing writer to The Huffington Post, Peter Monn who is also the Author of The Before Now And After Then, the emotional LGBT novel.

peter monn author the before now and after then_peter monn

1.Tell me a few things about yourself?
Hmmm...tough question, I'm obsessed with driving around later at night in the country and listening to audio books, My favourite holiday is Halloween my lucky number is 4 and my favourite food is macaroni and cheese.

2.I must ask what is the most rewarding part of your job as an author?
There is nothing better than someone reading my work and responding to it in a positive way. I often get negative responses but those are rewarding as well because at least my writing has evoked some kind of emotion in the reader.

3.So what is next for you? (if there is a book in the works what is it about?)
I'm currently working on two books, both of which will hopefully be out in 2016. The first piece is about a woman who goes through a major transition and shift in her world perception due to sudden awareness of her seemingly normal life. The other book is another young adult book, but a little darker than my first book.

4.Can you give us a brief look into the world of Peter Monn?
Another tough question. I've been sober for 20 years and I work as a life coach and recovery management coach mostly for young people in recovery from addiction. My husband, who is originally from Venezuela, and I have been marries for little over four years and live in the Midwest united states with our three dogs. My days are balanced between working, reading, writing and lots of television. My current faves are American Horror Story, Scream Queens, The Walking Dead and Quantico.

5.Where and when did the idea od The Before Now And After Them come from?
It actually came from a crush I had when I was in high school. There has been this boy who I always "wondered" about but never really got to know because he moved before I had the nerve to talk to him. Also, I wasn't out in high school so I wanted to write a book about what would have happened if I had been out in high school and if I had talked to him. It also focuses on bullying and grief which have been two big themes in my own life.

6.What part of the process do you enjoy the most, from the time you get an idea all the way through to it being published?
Its interesting because for me, the process is constantly changing. For example, ive been working on my current book for several months and the ending keeps on changing in my mind. I like to let the book develop naturally and see where the story takes me. That being sad, it is very exciting to actually have a book published and to hold it in your hand.

7.There are different ways to write a book, which way do you do it? and if applicable why not any other way?
I lack patience so writing long hand is too difficult for me. Typically an idea develops in my mind, usually whilst driving around at night. Then ill start jotting down ideas, working titles, character names and personality traits and the outline of the story. Once I have the outline I sit down and just start writing.

8.People have their favourite authors, who are your top there and their more recommendable work?
Oh wow! Just three? By far my all time favorite author is Harper Lee and my favorite book is To Kill a Mockingbird, although I read Go Set a Watchman this summer and was equally impressed. The two books play together perfectly. Billie Letts is another one of my favorite authors. I don't have a favorite book, although if I had to pick I'd probably say Made in the U.S.A. All of her books are fantastic and rich in characterization. My final pick would definitely be Stewart O'Nan.  I can't even begin to express how much I respect his work and each one of his books is a masterpiece; spooky and engrossing. While I love every one of his books, Speed Queen is my favorite although Last Night at the Lobster is a great book to read at Christmas. My current favorite young adult books are The Beginning of Everything, Two Boys Kissing, the Geography Club series, Love Letters to the Dead, Simon Vs. the Homo Sapien Agenda, I'll Give You the Sun, Looking for Alaska, Noggin and ALL of Benjamin Alire Saenz's books. He's my literary idol.
 
9.What are you currently reading and what is next on your to be read list?
I literally just finished Sprout by Dale Peck and bawled my eyes out at the end. Such a great read! Next I'm reading Dumplin' by Julie Murphy.
 

10.From an author, what is your advice for aspiring writers?
Get a notebook and fill it with ideas for characters, locations, plot twists, personality traits, character names and story ideas.  Pick a story you can't get out of your head and outline it on paper.  When all of that is done and the characters are alive in your mind, start writing and do not stop until the story is over.  And most importantly, write every day. Writers write. That's my biggest downfall.


If you wish to grab a copy of Peters Novel, The Before Now And After Then you can grab it at http://amzn.com/1941541089

the-before-now-and-after-then-paperback-3d_peter-monn














No comments:

Post a Comment