Saturday 28 November 2015

Itch - Simon Mayo


Title: Itch
Author: Simon Mayo
Publisher: Corgi Childrens
Publication Date:25th October 2012??
Available Editions: Paperback, Kindle, Audio, Hardcover







Book Synopsis:
Itchingham Lofte had caused explosions before.

There had, in truth, been many bangs, flashes and smells coming from his bedroom in the past. But there had been nothing like this one. It wasn't just the bedroom walls that shook; it was the whole house.

Not that Itch was aware of any of that, as he was unconscious.

He would of stayed that way too if it hadn't been for the fact his eyebrows were on fire...

Review:

Admittedly this book had been sitting on my shelf for way over a year, around 16 months in fact. I had very little excitement when it came to reading it. the synopsis didn't do much for me and neither did the cover but I gave it a shot anyway. It took me the span of 3 days to complete the book and it wasn't a waste.

First reading the book I was unable to get truly into it, it was very slow paced to start with and I was beginning to grow completely uninterested. Itchingham known as Itch loves to collect things, elements of the periodic table to be exact. At the age of 14 he is full of scientific knowledge when it comes to the elements and he loves to experiment with them. After taking it a step overboard he has to attend school the next day with no eyebrows that his sister Chloe aged 11 put out after they burnt off. His cousin Jacqueline, known as Jack is his only friend at school and they both deal with the tormenting of the bullies together and all three of them have a strong friendship and personal family relationship that keeps them tightly together.

Sometimes throughout the book I had to stop and take a breather because I didn't want to believe what was happening, obviously those things had happened but it made the book more intriguing. It had facts within it that were highly accurate which added to the atmosphere of the book. After evens occur the strength and determination of Itch shows, his initiative even more so and it becomes impossible not to admire the young boy.

It's hard to write this review as I don't want it to contain any spoilers so that the book if you do read it isn't spoiled by me, but I must say the characters were well written along with the situations they are involved in. I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes adventures and science. I rate it 5 out of 5.




2 comments:

  1. I still haven't read Itch! I need to get on that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it in all honesty. Totally worth a read.

    ReplyDelete