Saturday 22 August 2015

The One Thing - Marci Lyn Curtis






Title: The One Thing
Author: Marci Lyn Curtis
Publisher: Disney Book Group
Publication Date:
Available Editions: Hardback, EBook




Netgalley Synopsis:

Ages 12 and up
Maggie Sanders might be blind, but she won't invite anyone to her pity party. Ever since losing her sight six months ago, Maggie's rebellious streak has taken on a life of its own, culminating with an elaborate school prank. Maggie called it genius. The judge called it illegal.

Now Maggie has a probation officer. But she isn't interested in rehabilitation, not when she's still mourning the loss of her professional-soccer dreams, and furious at her so-called friends, who lost interest in her as soon as she could no longer lead the team to victory.

Then Maggie's whole world is turned upside down. Somehow, incredibly, she can see again. But only one person: Ben, a precocious ten-year-old unlike anyone she's ever met. Ben's life isn't easy, but he doesn't see limits, only possibilities. After awhile, Maggie starts to realize that losing her sight doesn't have to mean losing everything she dreamed of. Even if what she's currently dreaming of is Mason Milton, the magnetic lead singer of Maggie's new favourite band, who just happens to be Ben's brother.

But when she learns the real reason she can see Ben, Maggie must find the courage to face a once-unimaginable future...before she loses everything she has grown to love.



Review:

I was given the rights to read this book before its publication in return I must give a truthful review of the book.

The cover caught my attention first, how the background bought out the bright title and the details, I read the synopsis and I kind of automatically felt curious about how it would all work and lets say I don't regret being curious. I managed to finished this book over the period of two days with a few 2 hour periods of reading.

I loved several parts of this book, mostly how it wasn't like other books I had read, it wasn't all based around a relationship between two teenagers. I also loved how the book wasn't based around what I call an ordinary teenager. Not only this but how it unravelled really intrigued me and I got so into it my heart dropped when I got to the end. To keep this section short my last loved part of the story is the story progression, I was automatically into the story and always fully aware of what was happening.

Bringing up the characters I have to admit I was quite happy with the few characters there were, based around Maggie who's aged 17 and blind, but somehow she can see after hitting her head. She's funny and very much like me (as much as its weird to admit) I mean it in the sense of who she is when she's with people. Ben is a 10 year old who loves the company of Maggie very much after confessing his love for her minutes after first laying eyes on her. He's the brainy, kind boy who easily finds trust in anyone, he also holds Maggie's 'I see you' secret exactly that. Ben's older brother Mason happens to be the lead singer from her favourite band. He thinks she is using his younger brother just so she can be around him but that's not quite true, eventually she comes clean to him and when she can't see around Ben but other people too, does she come to a conclusion and confides in Mason. Mason has a tough outer shell and he has it for a reason but once you know him well enough it's no bother. He's talented, fictionally cute and an ideal big brother.

The characters were well written and added their own little bit to the story that I loved so much. They all seemed to bring something to the story that without, wouldn't, so to speak, finish the book. I'd be happy to buy this book 1000 times over to share it with everyone.

The story had me interested within the first chapter and I was simply unable to put the book down. It was such a beautiful story, keeping spoilers out it. Part of me wants another book just so I can see the characters again but I'll be happy even if there wasn't a second book. I had no issues at all and give the book an overall rating of 5/5. I recommend it to anyone who just wants something to read, with a great plot and very much loveable characters.










No comments:

Post a Comment