Wednesday 9 July 2014

Divergent - Veronica Roth

"Sixteen-year-old Tris is forced to makes a terrible choice. In a divided society where everyone must conform, Tris does not fit.
So she ventures out alone, determined to discover where she truly belongs. Shocked by her brutal new life, Tris can trust no one. And yet she is drawn to a boy who seems to both threaten and protect her.
The hardest choice lies ahead."

Young Beatrice Prior lives in a community divided into 5 factions;
Dauntless
Abnegation
Candor
Amity
Erudite
The factions have different values but none the same.

Beatrice is 16 and lives in a house with her family in Abnegation.The Selfless. She now has a choice to change that, she doesn't think she truly belongs and decides to change, so she does. To Dauntless. The Brave

When it comes to picking a favourite character in a trilogy it can differ or I just keep adding more to the list. As this is the first instalment of the trilogy, I am currently in favour of Beatrice 'Tris' Prior, Tobias 'Four' Eaton, Tori, Caleb and Christina. Tris is on a voyage of self discovery and I believe you have to be strong and brave to want to discover yourself. Four is strong and stern, he has a soft side but he's independent when it comes to thinking but he finds it difficult to find trust within people. Caleb is brave and intelligent and strong willed, that is why I like him, he is the perfect combination of bravery and intelligence. Christina is truthful and doesn't care for the repercussions of being so. She is also a supportive and caring friend.

I always get asked 'do the characters feel real to you?' and it is always the same answer. Yes. In a trilogy or just any book they are real. Like if I call their names they would run up the stairs and join me, That is how real they can be to me. To have a character feel real, you must allow yourself to believe. The material is in front of you, you just have to believe.

The book to me had a few predictable moments but besides those moments I was forced to keep guessing as everything else was unpredictable. I cant say I have a favourite part of the book without spoiling it 100% so it be open for discussion.

The action scenes are written particularly well. I always feel myself being drawn further and further in during the action scenes. I had cried at this books and well I cry at most books, but I cred at the emotionally tense parts.
This book draws you in and keeps you turning pages. I finished Divergent a while back but I was eager to read the following book, Insurgent. But during exams I didn't have enough time to do so, but eventually after my exams I had the time.

I think the only thing I dislikes about the book was that it had a last pages,a last word,a last full stop. But what softened the blow was the fact I had two more books to read after it.
If you like action and romance and you are a teenager this books is for you, I can remember saying this book has small traits of The Hunger Games, it does but only tiny ones.

The books front cover is amazing and uses a blend of really gorgeous colours.




Book Rating:
4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment